Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Running in the dark

So I woke up at 5:30am this morning. To run. It was the first time I have done such a thing. I was pretty proud of myself actually. The trouble is, I was hesitant to run in the dark, in a new neighborhood (I just moved here a couple of weeks ago.) It's actually a much better neighborhood than the one I moved from. But it's still new, and I never ran in the old one in the dark. I was scared. But maybe that fear was rational. It's just not smart for a young woman to run by herself in the dark of predawn. And besides, I really like running with my iPod. So instead, I went to the gym and ran on a treadmill. Ew.

After running outside for 5 months, running inside, on a treadmill, with a big tv right on the machine is annoying. And really, how do you run and watch a little 10 inch television? Seriously? What were they thinking?

So I ran. And ran. And ran. It wasn't really that long. 4 miles. But it felt TERRIBLE. It felt long. And difficult. It just sucked. But I did it. And I guess it's better than venturing out into the dark morning in a strange neighborhood.

I'll probably wake up tomorrow and do the same thing. I'm dedicated. Or maybe just scared to death of embarassing myself at this half marathon. Fear is a great motivator.

No comments: