Saturday, October 25, 2008

First Over-use Injury

I guess that's not really true. I had bursitis in my knees during my junior year of high school, when I was runningn track. But this is my "new" running life. Stage 2.

I had to cut a long run short by about 4.5mi last Sunday. My ankle was really painful. I have experienced pain in that ankle before, for about 2 months maybe? It was mild, and I always came home and iced it, and it always felt better the next day. This time I stepped on it wrong during my run and felt a SHOOTING pain radiate from my ankle to my knee. It was enough to make me feel sick.

I called my boyfriend to come and pick me up, even though I was only about a mile from home at the time. It was that painful, I just didn't want to walk on it.

So I haven't run all week. I'm going CRAZY! I now know how my dogs feel when I don't take them to the dog park. (Sorry girls.. Mom will try harder from now on.)

My ankle hasn't hurt since Tuesday or Wednesday, and I went out and got fitted for a new pair of running shoes at my local running store. I'm just ITCHING to get back out there, and I will tomorrow.

I haven't figured out the right way to get back to my schedule after a week off, and I've been advised that my training plan, with a hill workout, tempo run and long run every week is too much. Judging by the fact that I was 2 weeks in and had to take a week off because of a mild injury, that person might just be right. I may start alternating tempos and hills, instead of doing both in one week.

A lot to consider. My tentative goal for the marathon is under 5 hours. I think that is a safe bet, considering my 10K and 1/2 marathon times. I plan on running at least another 10K and 1/2 marathon before the Disney Marathon, so that time may change.

I just hope I can keep the injuries at bay.

No comments: